Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ode to Packing

Twas the night before England, when all through the house,
Not a suitcase was packed yet, not even a blouse.
My clothing was stacked by my luggage with care,
In hopes that motivation soon would be there.
The cats were all nestled snug on the bed
While visions of toy mice danced in each head.
And I, in a fever of inactivity,
Had just settled down to watch a little TV,
When down in the kitchen there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my chair to see what was the matter!

On the table I’d piled a few snacks for the road,
But the stack had just toppled with the weight of the load!
The almonds, the chocolate, the Pria bars too,
All dumped on the floor, I noted with rue.
I scooped them back into a big Ziplock bag,
And reluctantly moved to the next pile of swag.
A laptop, a cellphone, an ipod and camera,
A veritable arsenal of electronic ephemera!
But wait! There’s still more in my packing necessities,
A few more items of needs and accessories.
There’s magazines, books, of course notepads and pens,
There’s makeup, and sunscreen, and haircare nonsense,
Shorts, khakis and jeans and a couple of skirts,
A sweater, two jackets, a number of shirts.
And don’t forget shoes, I will need several pair,
For walking and running and just general wear.
And that’s just the basics, I’m afraid I must say,
A few things I’ll need for my short three week stay.
I need every item, it won’t go to waste,
But I worry, will it possibly all fit in my case?
I’ll fold and I’ll roll, and stuff the bag tight—
And hopefully will not have to stay up all night!

When the bags are all packed, I will sigh with relief
And head to the airport to fly o’er the seas
A bit overloaded, perhaps a bit stressed,
But no one will say that I’ll be underdressed!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Krisin,

Your post about McVities reminded me how addicted to them I got when I was living in London! Please, please bring some back!!!

Anonymous said...

Kristin, You crack me up--writing poetry when you are supposed to be packing!!

Jennifer said...

Oh my god, you are killing me... you are hysterical. How much time did that little ditty of procrastination suck up? As I was reading I kept waiting for a line about the suitcase exploding when you tried to zip it up. I guess that will be for the poem about packing to come home, huh?